Find Your Course
Liverpool Hope Logo

Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions

Where is Liverpool Hope University?

Liverpool is in the North-West of England, an hour from Manchester, just over a 2 hour train ride from London and a short boat ride away from Ireland. Liverpool Hope University has two campuses in Liverpool - Hope Park, which is three miles from the city centre, and the Creative Campus, which is within a brisk walk of the city centre. In the middle of these there is the accommodation complex, Aigburth Park. We also have an outdoor centre at Plas Caerdeon in Wales.

More information on Liverpool.

More information on Liverpool Hope University


How do I apply?

Download the form from and fill it out, typed only, please! Submit your application with a letter of reference from one of your professors. You can email electronic copies and mail the paper originals. Attach a scanned copy of your passport photo page. That's it!


Can I apply to Liverpool Hope even if there isn’t an existing study abroad agreement with my school?

Yes! All you need to do is work with your home university to make sure the courses that you take here at Liverpool Hope will transfer back. Our Syllabus page should help with course transfer issues. Just apply as above, and contact us if you have any questions or need any help!


Do I need a Visa?

Yes. There are two types of student visas for the UK. If you are here for just one semester it is free and you apply for this on arrival in the UK (there are working and volunteering restrictions on this visa). If you join us for a full year, you have to apply in advance of your arrival. Please visit the immigrations and visas section of our website for more information.


What are the entry requirements?

Students should normally be registered undergraduates in a recognised University or College who are in good academic standing and who have:

    1. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 ('B' average) or results of an equivalent standard (please provide your latest official transcript)
    2. One academic letter of reference from your home institution - this must be from your Professor.
    3. We require a transcript of results

It is expected that you will normally be studying with us in your junior or senior year but students in other years will also be considered.


When is the application deadline?

Up to date information on deadlines and other application information.


What subjects can I study?

Please browse through our course catalogue for a list of courses that you can study at Hope. For further details contact us at You can choose from throughout the list. Please be aware, though, that Art/Music/Dance/Theatre courses will be difficult to get into without prior experience. This is because the English system is a three year degree where students only take courses within their major- very similar to attending an Art School or a Music Conservatory. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.


How many classes can I take?

You can take a variety of options: two 30 credit modules, one 30 and two 15 credit modules, or four 15 credit modules. The only rule is that you must have 60 credits - no more, no less!


When will I get my course choices confirmed / get my timetable?

We aim to have student timetables emailed out a month before classes start. Since English students take courses from their major only, there is less of a stress on having timetables out. That said, we do know that our Study Abroad students want to know their schedule, so we try to get it out as soon as the University releases timetable information!


How and when will I get my results/transcripts?

At the end of your study period an official transcript will be sent to your home university.


Where will I live?

All Study Abroad students are given housing at either Hope Park or Aigburth Park for the duration of their studies. Please visit our housing page  to read more about the different kinds of accommodation we offer. On the application form is a section where you can put down housing choices. We endeavour to give all Study Abroad students their first choice - that said, the sooner you apply, the more chance you have of being placed in your preferred hall.


When should I arrive / leave?

If you are studying at LHU in the Fall Semester you should arrive during Arrivals Weekend, which is the weekend before Orientation. If you are studying at LHU in the Spring Semester, you will need to arrive one - two days before Orientation. Arrival dates can be found here. For Fall Semester, you have set dates of when classes end, they can be found here. For Spring Semester, there is an exam period at the end of the semester. The schedule will not be posted until half way through the semester, so we recommend that you book your return ticket for when the exam period has finished. Those dates can also be found here.


Will I be met at the airport when I arrive?

Yes. We will send you an airport collection request form, which will provide us with all of your arrival details so we can arrange for you to be collected at the airport. This service is free of charge. For an airport collection request form please email us at


Does Liverpool Hope University organise an orientation programme for Study Abroad Students?

Yes. Orientation is provided to inform you about Liverpool Hope and the support services available. We also organise a guided trip around Liverpool to show you the sights and help you get your bearings in England.


Should I bring my own towels, bedding, kitchen utensils etc?

A bedding pack is provided as part of your package. You must provide your own towels and anything you need for the kitchen, such as dishes, silverware and cooking utensils. These can be bought cheaply from local shops after you arrive.


Will electrical items from home work in the UK? Do I need a converter?

The UK electrical system is based on three pin 13 amp plugs which means you may need to bring an electrical adapter with you. Each study bedroom is fitted with a 220v – 240v electrical supply.


Should I bring a mobile phone?

Pay as you go sim cards in the U.K are cheap and easily accessible. You can also buy mobile phones inexpensively.


Is there internet access in the rooms?

Yes. There is free internet access available in all rooms.


Should I open a bank account in the UK?

You can open a bank account in the UK in order for you to access your money without charges. There are several banks with branches convenient to Liverpool Hope University. The banks will request a letter confirming that you are a student at Liverpool Hope University, we can create this for you, just come in and let us know. Once you have transferred your money and opened your account at a bank here, there are normally no bank charges for student accounts, provided you comply with the banks regulations. You should also check with your bank, some US banks have been known to waive ATM/International charges for account holders while overseas.


How much are living costs / what expenses should I prepare for?

In the UK the cost of living matches most other places in the European Union. Some things are cheaper than in other places, particularly clothes, food and drinks, whereas others are likely to be more expensive, especially tourist accommodation, eating out and travel (by rail). For a breakdown of these prices, please visit the expenses section of our website for more information.


Will I need to buy lots of books?

British universities do not require that students buy books to the same extent as US universities. Most courses have texts that you are advised to buy, but they will usually only be one or two books. We estimate this cost to be around £150 for a semester, but this cost can be reduced by purchasing second hand books (there are various websites and shops in Liverpool for this) or checking them out from the library.


Can I work/volunteer whilst in the UK?

Only if you arrive on a Tier 4 Visa. Otherwise, it is illegal for you to work or volunteer during your stay in the UK.


Do I need health insurance?

Yes. All Study Abroad Students will need to take out Medical Insurance whilst at Liverpool Hope University. Study Abroad students here for a semester must register as a visiting student and will be charged for consultations. Students who join us for a full year will receive free medical services through the NHS, but will not be covered if they travel outside of the UK. Students here for one semester are eligible for free care for emergency treatment, psychiatric care and the family planning clinic under the NHS. You will also need to take out an insurance policy to cover your travel and possessions while you are in Britain.


What is the weather like in the UK?

The weather is very changeable in the UK. It doesn’t rain all the time, but being prepared for different types of weather is the best advice we can give! If you join us in the Fall Semester, expect mild to cold temperatures, wind and rain. If you join us in the Spring Semester, expect the same, with the added risk of snow, although towards May it does heat up. For more information about the weather in the UK, please visit the UK Governments' Met Office website.


Can I come into the office to ask a question?

Yes! The International Unit is located on the first floor of the Gateway Building. You can drop in and see us between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday. Outside of office hours please email


Is there a representative in my country?

We do visits to the US twice a year: in February and in September. Contact us to see if we will be coming near you!