Theological Book Review
Theological Book Review (tbr)
Closing down notification
We are sorry to tell you that unfortunately we are unable to continue the Theological Book Review beyond early 2018, so the Journal, and this website supporting it, will cease publication in Spring 2018.
We have contacted all publishers asking them not to send us any more books, and of course will no longer request books from them. There will be some books already in the pipeline so it is worth looking out for them on the website, which we will continue to keep up-to-date so you know what is still available.
We are letting reviewers know as we send them emails. We are committed to publishing as many reviews as we can, and to trying to ensure that as many as possible of the books we have received are reviewed.
We plan to send any books remaining at the end of this time to suitable libraries - not to private individuals. In fairness to the publishers we will ensure that they are at least 'listed' in the last issues of tbr.
If you are a subscriber, we will send you all remaining issues at no added cost to you; we have ceased to request subscriptions.
Information about tbr.
Tbr has been edited by the Revd Professor Kenneth Newport. It has always been intended as a means by which clear, concise and authoritative reviews of the best theological scholarship could be made available to a wide readership. It is now in its 30th year.
Requests for books to review (from this website only) should be sent to our email address - tbr.hope.ac.uk.
Books Available for Review
The following is a list of books that are currently available for review.
Reviews should be between 250 and 300 words. Because of the special circumstances, reviews are due back early in 2018. Please ensure that you include in your review a clear brief indication of the academic level for which the book would be most appropriate. Please send completed reviews to Olga Davies (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) and copy them to us (email@example.com)
Reviewers are asked to note that we do not normally supply print copies of the journal to a reviewer whose work is appearing in it. We will be happy to email a pdf version of the journal on request.
When requesting a book, please give the address to which you would like it sent
- Azetsop, Jacquineau (ed.) HIV and AIDS in Africa: Christian Reflection, Public Health, Social Transformation
- Bazyn, Ken Soul-wrestling: Meditations in Monochrome
- Bland, Dave Proverbs and the Formation of Character
- Brener-Idan, Athalya and Archie Lee (eds) Samel, Kings and Chronicles 1: texts@contexts
- Cabetas, Paloma Chiara Communitarian Way to Holiness: in the Light of John 17:11b-19
- Carson, Marion L.S. Setting the Captives Free: the Bible and Human Trafficking
- Chung, Paul S. Postcolonial Public Theology: Faith, Scientific Rationality, and Prophetic Dialogue
- Cornwall, Susannah UN/Familiar Theology: Reconceiving Sex, Reproduction and Generativity
- Daniels, C. Wess A Convergent Model of Renewal: Remixing the Quaker Tradition in a Participatory Culture
- Davis, James Calvin Forbearance : a Theological Ethic for a Disagreeable Church
- Dickerson, Matthew The Mind and the Machine: What it Means to be Human and Why it Matters
- Dragseth, Jennifer Hockenbery Thinking Woman: a Philosophical Approach to the Quandary of Gender
- Gavin, John F. A Celtic Christology: The Incarnation according to John Scottus Eriugena
- German, Igal The Fall Reconsidered: a Literary Synthesis of the Primeval Sin Narratives against the Backdrop of the History of Exegesis.
- Gillmayr-Bucher, Susanne and Maria Hausl (eds.) Sedaqa and Torah in Postexilic Discourse
- Gorman, Heather M Interweaving Innocence: a Rhetorical Analysis of Luke's Passion Narrative (Lk 22:66-23:49)
- Gustafson, Hans Finding All Things in God: Pansacramentalism and Doing Theology Interreligiously
- Hagelia, Hallvard and Markus Zehndar (eds.) Interreligious Relations : Biblical Perspectives : Proceeding from the Second Norwegian Summer Academy of Biblical Studies (NSABS), Angsar University College, Kristiansand, Norway, August 2015
- Herppich, Birgit Pitfalls of Trained Incapacity: the Unintended Effects of Integral Missionary Training in the Basel Mission on its Early work in Ghana (1820-1840)
- Keller, Catherine Intercarnations : Exercises in Theological Possibility
- Kuiken, E Jerome Van Kuiken Christ's Humanity in Current and Ancient Controversy: Fallen or Not?
- Kyle, Eric J. Spiritual Being and Becoming: Western Christian and Modern Scientific Views of Human Nature for Spiritual Formation
- Lassiter, Katharine E. Recognizing Other Subjects: Feminist Pastoral Theology and the Challenge of Identity
- Lee, David Contextualization of Sufi Spirituality in Seventeenth-and Eighteenth-Century China: the Role of Liu Zhi (c.1662-c1730)
- Lee, Gregory W. Today when you hear his voice: scriptures, the Covenants and the people of God
- Lee, Nancy C. Hannevi'ah and Hannah: Hearing Women Biblical Prophets in a Woman's Lyrical Tradition
- Magrath, Sue Healing the Ravaged Soul: Tending the Spiritual Wounds of Child Sexual Abuse
- McInerney, Joseph J. The Greatness of Humility: St Augustine on Moral Excellence
- Merkle, Judith A. Beyond Our Lights and Shadows: Charisma and Institution in the Church
- Miller, R.W.H. Dr Ashley's Pleasure Yacht: John Ashley, the Bristol Channel Mission and all that Followed
- Moyo, Fabulous The Bible, the Bullet and the Ballot Zimbabwe: the Impact of Christian Protest in Sociopolitical Transformation ca. 1900-2000
- Newlands, George Spirit of Liberality: Collected Essays
- Nielsen, Jesper Tang and Morgens Muller (eds.) Luke's Literary Criticism
- Obbard, Elizabeth Ruth My life - my prayer: the autobiography of St Teresa of Avila for everyone
- Pally, Marcia Commonwealth and Covenant: Economics, Politics, and Theologies of Relationality
- Potter, Dylan David Angelology: Recovering Higher-Order Beings as Emblems of Transcendence, Immanence and Imagination
- Robinson, David Soul Mentoring: Discover the Ancient Art of Caring for Others
- Rowland, Tracey Catholic Theology
- Schindler, D.C. The Perfection of Freedom: Schiller, Schelling and Hegel between the Ancients and the Moderns
- Sirvent, Roberto Embracing Vulnerability: Human and Divine
- Turner, Marie Ecclesiastes : an Earth Bible Commentary : Qoheleth's Eternal Earth
- Uggla, Bengt Kristensson Becoming Human Again: the Theological Life of Gustaf Wingren
- van Erp, Stephan, Christopher Cimorelli and Christine Alpers (eds.) Salvation in the World : the Crossroads of Public Theology
- Wagenfuhr G.P. Plundering Egypt: a subversive Christian ethic of economy
- Working, Randal Carter The Visual Theology of the Huguenots : towards an Architectural Iconology of Early Modern French Protestantism 1535 to 1623
- Wright, Nigel G. Vital Truth: Convictions of the Christian Community